Sunday 9 March 2014

Have Been Thinking A Bit: Presenting Achime

Since this is my music/thought pouring blog, I shall proceed to use it as a place where I write things that belong in a diary. Lately, it has come to my knowledge that I have been working myself to death. Now I don't know if that's a valid association between work and death since if that logic is true then everyone should just start relaxing. By the way, that's something called kidding there you know. Of course I know that's not what it means, but in any case, the modern path of personal growth is really a minefield of complacency. Finding your place in the world, through studying and self-improvement I believe requires much more generation of motivation than let's say, a rebel soldier in Syria. A bullet in the air is quite the motivation to haul ass than a cushiony chair in the Old Building of LSE campus.

In any case I will sound very extreme again, so let me cool my head a bit. Achime. Yes. 아침. That's Korean for 'morning', which brings me to the reminder that I do hope the morning is refreshing for me tomorrow. Haven't had one of those in ages.


Yes, don't tell me. That seems like a girl lifting her skirt there on the album cover. Not my decision, it was theirs. Aside from that, I really like this song. Funky alt-rock is always a treat. Speaking of which, here's another one.


By that second song I knew that I had found another unique K-indie band. Founded in 2008 was pretty much all I could find about them, as they are another one of those really elusive bands outside of Korea. Shame I'd say. Just for the music I'd go to Korea.

Here's a video with all their faces showing.



First of all, if you're Korean and into rock, you should totally try to get these guys' stuff on your smartphone/ipod/or whatever the kids these days carry.

Secondly, I ask, to people especially say they're 'into' Korean culture, why don't bands like these get focused in this K-pop craze that I hear about all the time? You knew any of these guys? I feel like all the boy bands and girl bands and the rest of the 'idol' crowd get unjustified attention in place of real talent. They're great to look at, but peel their faces off and they've got nothing but necks that aren't good for singing and barely any talent in their noggins. Oh, and don't forget those stick figure bodies that can memorize a few dance moves. Give me a face like theirs and a major production company sponsorship and I guarantee you, I could probably clone their 'success'.

Same things go for others. If you don't know who Jung Myung-Hoon is, you don't know Korean culture at all. Just because you know Justin Timberlake, you don't KNOW American Culture. Just because you know Celine Dion, that doesn't meant you KNOW Canadian Culture. So if I hear once more, about someone putting SNSD and Korean Culture, or like, Shinee and Korean Culture in the same sentence, I will probably do nothing but secretly hope to cause nightmares for you in your sleep.

In any case, I've diverged too far already. Let me get back to the point. These guys are fantastic, and yes, they do have some stuff posted on iTunes. I highly recommend them. With that note, I'll sign off by leaving you a fantastic clip of them playing live.




No comments:

Post a Comment